Sentence PatternTo answer the questions on Identifying the Sentence Pattern it is a must have sufficient knowledge of the Patterns.
For a Sentence to give a Complex Meaning, words must be arranged in their proper order.
- A snake bites Rajan. (Correct)
- Rajan bites a snake. (Wrong)
A Sentence is a formation of Elements. They are:
- Subject (S)
- Verb (V)
- Object (O)
- Complement (C)
- Adjunct (A)
- They wrote him a letter.
- They (S) wrote (V) him (Io) a letter (Do)
- Kamal is intelligent (S V C)
- Kamal (S) is (V) intelligent (C)
- She drinks coffee in the morning. (S V O A)
- She (S) drinks (V) coffee (O) in the morning (A)
How to find the Correct Element?To find the Subject, ask the question, 'Who.....?' or 'Which....?' or 'What.....?'
- Sita reads. (S+V)
- He saw a tiger. (S+V+O)
- The policemen catch thieves. (S+V+O)
- Meena is a pilot (S+V+C)
- They made him a Bishop (S+V+C)
- My mother bought me a computer. (S+V+Io+Do)
- Children are playing in the garden. (S+V+A)