Changing Active Voice To Passive VoiceTo answer the questions on Active Voice and Passive Voice i.e.to change the Active into Passive and Passive into Active, one must know the correct Verb Forms.
- A cat eats a rat. (Active)
- A rat is eaten by a cat. (Passive)
1. Changing the Active Form to Passive Form: The Object in the Active Form is made the Subject in the Passive Form. And the subject in the Active Form is made the Agent in the Passive Form.
'A rat' is the Object in the Active and it is the Subject in the Passive.
2. The Correct Form of the 'Be' verb is placed before the main verb.
The verb 'eat' in the Active changed into 'is eaten' in the Passive. 'is' is the 'be' verb used.
3. The main verb 'eat' takes its Past Participle form 'eaten'.
4. The Preposition 'by' is placed before the Agent in the Passive Form.
5. Where the Agent is Obvious, Understood, or Unknown 'by=agent' may be omitted.
The thief was arrested.
The thief was arrested. (by the ploice). Here the agent, 'police' is understood.
The millionaire's son was kidnapped. (by someone). Here the 'agent' is unknown.
Next: Mood of the Verb