Parts of SpeechJust as different parts in our body have different functions, different words in a sentence have different functions.
The parts of Speech are eight in numbers.
A Noun is a word used as the name of a person, place, thing, activity, or whatever we can think of.
- Mahatma Gandhi is the father of our nation.
- Bangalore is a beautiful city.
- The chair is strong.
- All of us accept God is love.
- Swimming is a good exercise.
2.AdjectiveAn adjective is a word that tells something about a noun.
- He is an obedient student.
- There are one thousand students in our school.
3.PronounA Pronoun is a word used instead of a noun.
- Ganesh is absent today, because he is not in station.
- I had a nice watch. I lost it last week.
4.VerbA verb is a word used to express the status of the subject or the action done by or done to the subject.
- Kolkata is the biggest city in India.
- My friend wrote a letter to me.
- This book was written by my professor.
5.AdverbAn adverb is a word that tells something about the verb, adjective or another adverb.
- Gowri ran quickly. (ran - Verb)
- This flower is very beautiful. (beautiful - Adjective)
- He spoke very clearly.(clearly - Adverb)
6.PrepositionA preposition is a word that shows the relation of the noun or pronoun to some other noun.
- The book is on the table.
- My mother is preparing coffee in the kitchen.
- The box is under the cot.
7.ConjunctionA conjunction is a word that joins words or sentences.
- Kumar and Sundar are brothers.
- He studied hard but failed in the examination.
8.InterjectionAn interjection is a word that expresses some feeling or emotion.
- Hurrah! We got the First Prize.
- Alas! He is dead.
Next: Subject and Predicate